Beware- Protect Your Dallas Pets!

Poisonous Plants, Harmful Foods, and Dangerous Objects:

PENCILS - Dogs especially love to chew on pencils, but even a cat will also at times. Besides possible lead poisoning, the main danger comes from the wood that splinters when the pencil is swallowed or chewed. If your animal has swallowed a pencil or pieces of the pencil, do not try to induce vomiting as the splintered wood can cause more damage coming back up again. Instead, immediately go to your Veterinarian.

RUBBER BANDS, THREAD, ROPE, PAPER CLIPS & STRING - When swallowed by a cat or dog, they can become entwined in the animals digestive system, and cause a blockage. Cat’s especially like to play with string and yarn and can easily swallow these items, but a dog can also do the same. String can become so tangled inside the animal, that it cuts into the flesh that it is wrapped around. Sewing needles with thread attached are especially dangerous and should NEVER be kept out where a pet can get to them. Paper clips can puncture organs and cause much damage and need to be immediately removed by a qualified Veterinarian if swallowed.

An animal’s curiosity doesn’t seem to have an age limit. Curiosity and playfulness is not limited to puppies and kittens, although they are the most susceptible. Grown dogs have been known to swallow entire pieces of rope, and cats have swallowed yarn. If you are suspicious that your animal may have digested one of these items, and it doesn’t seem to be passing it on it’s own, you may notice the animal beginning to act lethargic and withdraw from eating. It may begin to gag and throw up frequently. Some owners have had success giving the animal olive oil to help the item pass. If this doesn’t work in a very short period of time (1 or 2 days max), then immediately take your animal to the local Vet. Within a short period of time, these blockages can become fatal if not removed.

CAFFEINE AND CHOCOLATE – Two common poisons for both cats and dogs are caffeine and chocolate. Chocolate is especially harmful as it contains caffeine and another toxin- theobromine. Avoiding caffeine and chocolate means avoiding coffee grounds, coffee beans, tea, energy drinks, dry cocoa powder, chocolate cookies, brownies, and chocolate. The amount of chocolate needed in order to cause a fatal reaction depends on the size of the dog or cat and the type of the chocolate. Generally, the darker, stronger chocolates are the most harmful as they contain more amounts of caffeine than milk chocolate. If you catch your within 2 hours after he has ingested the culprit, then the usual course of action recommended is to immediately induce vomiting before the items are absorbed by your animal’s digestive system. You can often induce vomiting by giving your pet 1 tspn of hydrogen peroxide for every 5 pounds of weight. You will have to force this down them. If you have an eye dropper, empty syringe, or turkey baster, this is the easiest way to squirt it down their throat. Use 3% hydrogen peroxide. Wait 15 minutes. You might want to put them in the bathtub, shower stall, or at least on a tiled floor so it will be easy to clean up the mess. If your cat or dog still hasn't vomited yet after 15 minutes, administer one more time. Never administer if your pet is unconscious or has swallowed a sharp object or something caustic. If your dog consumed large amounts of caffeine or chocolate, or if it was longer than 2 hours ago, then just inducing vomiting will probably not be enough. You would be wise to also rush them to the local Vet or Emergency Room as there are other treatments they may be able to offer your animal to try to minimize the damage to the kidneys and to monitor your dog’s condition.

GRAPES AND RAISINS - Another common food item that can potentially be dangerous to your dog or cat are grapes and raisins. Veterinary toxicologists at the Animal Poison Control Center are currently investigating cases where dogs have developed kidney failure after ingestion of medium to large quantities of grapes and raisins (2 to 4 ounces).
The owners of dogs who have ingested large quantities of grapes or raisins are encouraged to call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435 immediately. In a recent study, it was found that of all the dogs who ate as little as 9 ounces of raisins or grapes, after aggressive treatment, which included intravenous fluids and medications, half of the dogs recovered, while the others died or had to be euthanized. There is also one reported case of a cat who died from kidney failure after ingesting raisins. At present, the toxic component of grapes or raisins, the exact element that makes it so harmful to dogs (and apparently cats) has not been narrowed down yet. But the damage is undeniable. Keep all grapes and raisins away from your pets. If you suspect that your pet has ingested large quantities of raisins or grapes, induce vomiting if it has been less than 2 hours ago, and immediately take them to your Vet. You might also want to call the Animal Poison Control Center.

Common Household Plants That Are Toxic - Philodendron, Chinese Evergreen, Cordatum, Corn Plant (aka Cornstalk Plant), Devil's Ivy, Dumb Cane, Golden Pothos, Green Gold Nephthysis, Marble Queen, Lilys (members of the Lily family are considered to be highly toxic to cats especially), Red-Margined Dracaena, Striped Dracaena, Taro Vine, Warneckei Dracaena, Cyclamen, Hydrangea, Kalanchoe, Poinsettia (popular around Christmas time), Ferns, Australian Nut, Aloe Vera, Branching Ivy, English Ivy, European Bittersweet, Glacier Ivy, Hahn's self branching English Ivy, Needlepoint Ivy, Azalea, Bird of Paradise, Caladium, Elephant Ears, Castor Bean, Daffodil bulbs, Hemlock, Hyacinth leaves flowers and bulbs, Holly and Mistletoe berries (popular around Christmas time), Morning Glory, Nightshade, Rhubarb, Tulip bulbs, Yew-such as Japanese Yew can cause very sudden death, Marijuana, Oleander, Amaryllis (popular around Easter time), and Schefflera, Iris.

Other Foods That Can Be Harmful - Mustard Seeds, Potato peelings, shoots and sprouts, Onions & garlic (including onion and garlic powder), Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide poisoning), Rhubarb leaves, Moldy/spoiled foods, Macadamia Nuts, Walnuts, Alcohol, Yeast dough, Hops (used in home brewing), Tomato leaves & stems (green parts), Broccoli (in large amounts), Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars, Nutmeg, Raw Potatoes, Turkey skin, Voltarin (in arthritis medication)-Very Fatal, Baby Food (can contain onion powder), Citrus oil, Fat trimmings (Can cause pancreatitis), Human vitamins containing iron (can damage the lining of the digestive system), Large amounts of liver, Mushrooms, Raw fish. Candy containing the sweetener Xylitol (Can cause liver damage and even death), cherry pits, peach pits,

Foods That Are Specifically Harmful to Cats – Caffeine, chocolate, grapes, raisins, Apple Seeds, Apricot seeds/pits, Avocado fruit/pits, Cherry, Eggplant, Elderberry, Green Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Onions, Potato, Rhubarb leaf, Tobacco, Candy containing the sweetener Xylitol (Can cause liver damage and even death), alcoholic beverages, cherry pits, Hops, Macadamia Nuts, moldy food, peach pits, onion, garlic, walnuts, yeast dough.

The above possible hazards are by no means a complete and comprehensive list of every possible object or item that could ever pose a risk to your beloved pet, but it does provide a good amount of information regarding some of the most well known hazards. Take these steps to protect your Dallas pet. They will thank you later!

Begin Searching For Your Dallas Apartment Now!

DISCLAIMER: The above list is not meant to contain every POSSIBLE harmful or poisonous element that your pet might be exposed to, and does not claim to be such a conclusive list. Nor does the advice about administering hydrogen peroxide serve as diagnostic or treatment advice. Always consult your Veterinarian for professional advice.



Tired of Renting is a website operated by Licensed Real Estate Agent Amy Williams, brokered by J. Ellis Apartment Locators. Agent #: 488955. Broker #: 503345